The MABTS is a new flexible degree designed for those who desire to grow in depth and breadth of biblical knowledge in a format that fits their schedule and unique ministry preparation needs.
WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM THIS DEGREE?
Anyone who wants to take a deep dive into the Scriptures, desiring to be better equipped to serve in a teaching ministry in the church or in an academic setting. The degree can be done RESIDENTIALLY and is also AVAILABLE FULLY ONLINE, making this program ideal for vocational ministry leaders who never had the chance to complete a degree in residence but desire more robust biblical training than many online programs provide.
COURSEWORK — 66 CREDIT HOURS TOTAL
- Biblical Studies – 29 credit hours
- Biblical and Systematic Theology – 15 credit hours
- Church History – 3 credit hours
- Electives – 18 credit hours
- Capstone – 1 credit hour
- Thesis (optional) – 4 credit hours (taken as part of the elective hours)
One biblical language (Greek or Hebrew) is required for all MABTS students; students may, if they desire, opt to take both languages.
Students interested in academic leadership or advanced study may opt to write a thesis (4 credits taken as electives), enabling them to gain greater experience in research and advanced theological writing.
Interested MABTS students can craft their degree to ensure that all credits transfer into the MDiv program, enabling them to complete the final third of the MDiv through as few as six on-campus intensive courses.
BIBLE CONTENT EXAM
Entering students must attempt to pass the Bible Content Exam prior to their first class; prior to graduation all students must pass the Bible Content Exam.
|Category||Course Name and Number||Credit Hours|
|Biblical Languages||Greek I and/or Hebrew I|
|Greek II and/or Hebrew II|
|Greek in Exegesis and/or Hebrew in Exegesis – NT/OT305|
Ancient & Medieval Church History – CH310
OR Reformation & Modern Church History – CH320
|New Testament||Gospels – NT220/320|
|Acts & Pauline Epistles – NT230/330|
|Pastoral & General Epistles & Revelation – NT250/350|
|Old Testament||Pentateuch – OT220/320|
|OT Historical Books – OT230/330|
|Psalms & Wisdom Literature – OT240/340|
|Prophetical Books – OT250/350|
|Covenant Theology – ST300|
|Christian Ethics – ST360|
|God & Humanity: Foundations of Counseling – ST310|
|Christ & Salvation – ST330|
|Spirit, Church & Last Things – ST350|
|MA Capstone||Capstone – MA298|
|(Thesis)||(Optional: 4-hour MA Thesis** – MA397, MA398; these credits come from the total elective hours)|
* For students choosing to do only one language, four of the electives must come from the following classes. For students choosing to do both languages, two of the electives must come from the following classes. For students choosing to do both languages and a thesis, one of the electives must come from the following classes.
- AT300 Christian Formation & Calling – 3 credits
- AT340 Theology of Ministry & Worship – 3 credits
- CC310 Foundations of Apologetics & Outreach – 3 credits
- CO320 Counseling in the Church I – 3 credits
- EM301 Educational Foundations – 3 credits
- WM310 God’s World Mission – 3 credits
** Students wishing to do a thesis must complete both language sequences: NT301, NT302, NT303 and OT301, OT302, OT303.