Introducing two new degree programs that can help students get the training they need for their unique ministry or life callings—without having to relocate to St. Louis to do it. The Master of Arts (Biblical and Theological Studies) (MABTS) and Master of Arts in Ministry (MAM) are available in online or hybrid online/on-campus formats. The Master of Divinity (MDiv) can now be completed in a new hybrid format as well. Pending approval of the Seminary’s accreditors, the new degrees will begin in fall 2018. Applications are now being accepted.
The Master of Arts (Biblical and Theological Studies)—available both on-campus and fully online—is ideal for ministry leaders who do not have the chance to complete a degree in residence or who simply desire more robust biblical training than most online programs provide. It is also a good option for those who feel called to teach in the church or academy. The MABTS:
- Requires study of at least one biblical language (Greek or Hebrew)—though students may take both if they desire—and can be done completely online.
- Offers an optional thesis for those who wish to prepare for a PhD.
- Allows for easy transfer into the MDiv program for those who wish to complete a final third of the MDiv through week-long visits to campus for intensive courses.
- Requires 66 total credit hours and may be completed in 2 – 4 years.
The Master of Arts in Ministry—available on campus or in a hybrid online/on-campus format—is perfect for people who sense a call to ministry but need a season of more immersive preparation. It is also a good choice for busy ministry leaders unable to relocate to complete their training but who desire a biblical and practical degree to better equip them for the work to which the Lord has already called them. The MAM:
- Offers great flexibility for students to tailor their degree to their particular needs. All MAM students take substantial core courses providing foundations in Bible and theology, with a wide range of electives to spread across classes in biblical studies and applied theology.
- Provides students the opportunity to focus their electives into a concentration area to better equip them for their unique ministry contexts or goals. Available concentrations include:
- Biblical Studies and Christian Ministry—Ideal for the ministry leader who wants to handle and communicate God’s Word and care for his people.
- City Ministry—Ideal for those called to minister in an urban context, whether in the church or outside of it.
- Cultural Apologetics and Communication—Ideal for those who want to be equipped to address the issues of our day in a biblical, thoughtful and winsome way.
- Educational Ministries—Ideal for ministry directors (women, youth, children’s, etc.) or anyone called to make disciples in a non-ordained setting.
- Requires 200 hours of supervised field education work in an approved ministry setting.
- Requires 54 total credit hours and may be completed in 2 – 4 years.
The Master of Divinity can now also be completed in a hybrid format. 2/3 may be completed online with the rest being completed in as little as 6 trips to campus. While our MDiv remains as devoted as ever to mentored ministry, our students now have even greater flexibility in how they choose to study.
Dr. Jay Sklar, vice president of academics and professor of Old Testament, sees the new degrees as meeting a growing need in the church for training that is biblical, accessible, and flexible: “The purpose of these degrees is to provide solid biblical and theological training that is easily adaptable to the unique ministry needs and goals of each student. The differing emphases of each degree and the various options within them allow students to craft a program suited to the specifics of their situation. The MABTS online and MAM hybrid options also have built-in community learning components so that students not physically here on campus can still experience the benefits of learning and growing together with their peers and professors.”
Contact the Admissions Office to talk through how these new degrees can enhance your ministry.