City Ministry Initiative and the Francis A. Schaeffer Institute Present
ROOTED IN THE WORD, ENGAGED IN THE WORLD: HERMENEUTICS, MISSION, AND CONGREGATION
March 3 – 4, 2017
Rayburn Chapel, Covenant Seminary
Tickets: $15 general admission; $60 for anyone bringing four guests (5 tickets for the price of 4); $10 for students
If we pay close attention to Scripture, we soon realize that mission is a central theme in the Bible’s narrative as it is central to the church’s identity and task in the world. Learning to read the Bible missionally not only yields fresh insight into the familiar content of Scripture, but also illuminates ways to engage the changed contexts we are part of, including our calling as seminaries and local congregations to minister to and within the challenges of our time and place.
Join us as the City Ministry Initiative, together with the Francis A Schaeffer Institute, welcome leading biblical and missiological scholars and practitioners from the Missional Training Center and Surge Network to our campus and our city. This gifted ensemble of ministry leaders will help us use mission as an interpretive lens to better understand the Bible, theological education, and the local church. They will also help us address such contemporary challenges as preaching in a distorted age, working with refugees, working with the urban poor, developing a missiology of Western culture, and developing hospitable practices that will connect our congregations to their local contexts.
- Dr. Michael Goheen, Theological Director and Scholar in Residence, Missional Training Center, Phoenix, Arizona
- Dr. Christopher J. H. Wright, International Ministries Director, Langham Partnership
- Dr. Michael Williams, Professor of Systematic Theology, Covenant Seminary
Updated List of Workshop Speakers and Topics:
- Luke Bobo, Director of Resource and Curriculum Development, Made to Flourish. Workshop focus: Living Salty Lives in the Workplace.
- Erin Glanville, Independent Researcher and Visiting Scholar in the School of Communication, Simon Fraser University. Workshop focus: Working with Refugees / Working with Urban Poor.
- Michael Goheen, Theological Director and Scholar in Residence, Missional Training Center. Workshop focus: Toward a Missiology of Western Culture.
- Chris Gonzalez, Lead Pastor, Missio Dei Communities. Workshop focus: theological education for missional calling.
- Cindy and Joel Hylton, Area Directors for Missionary Apprenticeship Program, Serge: Grace at the Fray. Workshop focus: Sustainable Living on Mission.
- Eric Larsen, Founder and Executive Director of NEXT (formerly GYFM). Workshop Focus: Mission Amid Emerging Adults
- Jim Mullins, Pastor of Theological Formation and Cultural Engagement, Redemption Church. Workshop focus: Mission and the Local Congregation.
- James Schaefer, Design Facilitator, OneHope: God’s Word for Every Child. Workshop focus: Serving Our Children in a Missional Context.
- Riccardo Stewart, Lead Pastor of Redemption Church. Workshop focus: Preaching and God’s Missional Purposes.