Growing up in Canada, Dr. Sklar’s initial ministry experience involved leading youth and children’s ministries in both church and camp settings. His current ministry involvement includes his teaching, writing, speaking at church and college events, and helping with theological education overseas. A French speaker, Dr. Sklar teaches annually at Faculté Jean Calvin in France.
Dr. Sklar’s doctoral studies focused on the sacrificial system in Exodus to Numbers, resulting in the book Sin, Impurity, Sacrifice, Atonement: The Priestly Conceptions. His research interests have continued to focus on the Bible’s early books: he was a partial contributor and editor of Leviticus notes for the ESV Study Bible; he wrote the notes on the book of Numbers for the newly released NIV Study Bible; he published a commentary on Leviticus for the Tyndale Old Testament Commentary series (InterVarsity Press), along with a study guide to accompany it; he is about to publish a longer commentary on Leviticus for the Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the Old Testament series; he has just submitted a commentary on Numbers for Zondervan’s Story of God commentary series; and he is working on a commentary on Exodus for Crossway’s ESV Expository Commentary series (for which he serves as one of three general editors).
Dr. Sklar’s work on the book of Leviticus includes:
- Studies in Leviticus: An Audio Recording of a Short Series Taught by Dr. Sklar
- Why Should We Listen to Leviticus? (short video)
- Suggestions for Sermon Series on Leviticus: A Printable Resource for Preaching and Teaching
- A Video Introducing Dr. Sklar’s Leviticus Commentary
- Leviticus: Tyndale Old Testament Commentary Series
- Leviticus Commentary and Bible Study
- An interview with The Journeywomen Podcast talking about the story of the Old Testament.