Cohort Assignments for First-Year MDivs
What: First-Year MDiv students enrolled in Christian Formation and Calling will be assigned to what we call a Cohort Group.
When: These will meet on Wednesdays or Thursdays from 10 to 10:50 a.m. for both the fall and spring semesters. Information on your group leader, meeting day, and location will be available on the Portal by Tuesday, August 28. Groups will begin Wednesday, August 29, or Thursday, August 30, depending on which day you are assigned.
Note: Once assignments are made, we cannot change your day except for extreme circumstances that simply will not allow you to meet on that particular day. A lot goes into assigning groups and it can be extremely difficult to move people around. Thanks for your understanding.
Optional MA Cohort Group for Men
We are offering a Life Story Cohort group for MA men, which is similar to the mandatory ones for MDiv students. If you are an interested first-year MA student, please contact Mark McElmurry at email@example.com.
Covenant Group Options and Sign-Up
What: Covenant Groups are “themed” peer groups open to any student.
When: This fall most groups will meet on Wednesdays beginning September 5. See list below for group options and meeting times.
How: Sign up for a group on the Portal beginning Monday, August 20.
Fall Covenant Group Options:
- Theological Fellowship, led by Dr. Bob Yarbrough and Dr. Aucker (meets in F44, Wed., 10 – 10:50 a.m.). Open to any and all; but many in this group are exploring a sense of call to further graduate study and/or to vocational teaching in a college, seminary, or elsewhere. We sponsor major speakers on our campus, host a student-led academic conference, and enjoy weekly refreshments.
- “Life by the Spirit”: A Galatians 5:22–26 Women’s Group, led by Prof. Suzanne Bates (meets in E11, Wed., 10 – 10:50 a.m.). This group, for women only, will focus on each virtue of the Holy Spirit and how we as women of faith can encourage one another as we endeavor to apply these virtues in areas of our daily living.
- Church Planting Discussions with those who have Planted, led by Dr. Phil Douglass (meets in F245, Wed., 10 – 10:50 a.m.). Over the course of the semester, Dr. Douglass will share his own experiences in planting six churches over the years as well as bring in church planters from the St. Louis region to talk about the joys and challenges not only of church planting but vocational ministry in general from their own perspective. Remember that 30% of our MDiv graduates will plant a church at some point in their ministry career—usually within 10 years of their graduation.
- Worship and Liturgical Fellowship, led by Dr. Mark Dalbey and Tim Woody (meets in President’s Office Wed., 10 – 10:50 a.m.). The focus of the group is to explore areas of ministry related to worship and create liturgies to fit various circumstances like weddings, funerals, and prayer services.
- International Women’s Fellowship, led by Dr. Tasha Chapman (meets in Community Center Room, Wed., 10 – 10:50 a.m.). IWF is a weekly time of prayer, fellowship, support, and culture and language work for all women students and women spouses who grew up in another global culture or who have been living outside the USA for more than 2 years before coming to Covenant.
- International Men’s Fellowship, led by Dr. Jay Sklar (meets in F304, Thurs., 10 – 10:50 a.m.). This group is a weekly time of prayer, fellowship, support, and culture and language work for all male students who grew up in another global culture or who have been living outside the USA for more than 2 years before coming to Covenant.